Phishing email catches company out by turning on the charm
Based in the South of England, our company is at the forefront within their marketplace. Part of their success comes from the fact the company is a friendly place to work. Everyone is dedicated to their role within the organisation.
Phishing emails are the most common of all the cybercrime threats out there. They rely solely on deception; designed to trick a person into disclosing valuable information or money or both.
“Our company received an email that led a member of the team to believe that the person sending the email was a Director of the company, so the content of the email was not challenged”.
83% of businesses in the UK receive phishing emails. 27% (Gov.uk) of those emails will be ‘impersonation attacks’ that is someone from outside the organisation impersonating a person within the organisation.
A fake email was sent to the company requesting that an invoice be paid, the bank details, however, had been changed, so that the criminals account was paid, and not the real customer.
What happened to them could happen to anyone.
A team member was tricked by an email from an outside source. It appeared to have been sent in by one of the company’s management team. The fake “Director” drew the staff member into the conversation via email; rather than going straight to ‘can you send me money’. The cybercriminal played on the staff members’ loyalty to the company, before asking them to send money to their criminal bank details.
83% of businesses in the UK receive phishing emails. 27% (gov.uk) of those emails will be ‘impersonation attacks’!
- Setting out a multi-layered plan to improve the company’s defences against such attacks in the future
- Staff Training – How to spot the work of cybercriminals
- Internal changes, like checking the validation of payments
- Better Anti-Spam & phishing protection
- CNC Complete Security Protection Standard
- MFA installed
- Change of passwords systemwide
- Improved working procedures with emails and logins Creating zero-trust initiatives across the whole company, helping with the cultural shift for successful implantation
- Set up reporting process for suspicious emails
“It could have been worse. Luckily it wasn’t. We could have done without the experience. Having said that, we are now in a much better position, we have installed a full security package to wrap around the company, and it’s brought about a much–needed change in how each member of the team looks at protecting the company. Thank you, CNC for sorting for us“
See what the fuss is about and have a look through our comprehensive list of services.
- Outsourced IT Solutions
- Business Broadband
- Backup & Disaster Recovery
- IT Infrastructure Consultancy
- IT Hardware & Software Suppliers
- IT & Cyber Security
- Switching IT Support Partners
- Endpoint Protection
- Cloud & Hosting
- Cyber Security Training
- Patch Management
- Offsite Data Backup
- Apple Mac Support
- Bespoke Software Design
- Email Archiving
- Remote Working
- Microsoft 365 Solutions
- Microsoft Azure Consultancy
We are always open for a chat so get in touch to find out how we can help.