Future-proofed and remote ready
Since 1922, veterans with health conditions have been supported into employment by The Poppy Factory. The first of these were wounded, injured and sick veterans of the First World War, who came to work at its factory producing Remembrance products.
In the decades that followed, the charity continued to build a supportive environment for veterans with physical and mental health conditions, developing a strong understanding of the complex challenges that many face. Today its support reaches far beyond the factory into communities across England and Wales, helping ex-Forces job seekers on their journey into all kinds of employment.
The Poppy Factory’s employment service launched in 2010, and has grown to make up 90 per cent of the charity’s work. Each year its employment consultants help hundreds of veterans with a mental or physical condition to thrive in the workplace, wherever they are based.
Specialist support and meaningful employment can be truly life-changing, significantly improving veterans’ confidence, financial security and wellbeing.
The support it provides changes lives.
The Poppy Factory needed to improve its operational efficiency by smoothing out IT problems that the team was facing both in and away from the office.
- IT Infrastructure and software were end-of-life
- Physical telephone system with ISDN lines in use and soon
to be retired by BT
- An older version of Remote Desktop Server was in use
with limited functionality
- No Multi-factor authentication for remote access or emails
- Standard broadband internet connection
- With 50% of the team working remotely, any upgrade
would be technically very demanding
- Different versions of Microsoft Office being used
- No video conferencing solution at the head office
- No Cyber Security Accreditation
Richard uses his experience to teach the next generation of soldiers
- Infrastructure refresh, including new servers with solid-state
drives to speed up file and application access
- Staff are now given laptops as standard, including docking
stations to make users more agile
- Emails migrated to Microsoft 365
- Standardised Microsoft Office versions
- Migration to a VoIP telephone solution that employees
access from any location via a smartphone App, Windows
device or a physical handset
- Upgrade to the latest version of Remote Desktop Server,
allowing access to published applications. One of the key
benefits of this is the ability to use Microsoft Teams
locally whilst still keeping data secure and controlled on
a centralised server
- New 100Mbps dedicated leased line
- Multi-factor authentication deployed to all staff for both emails and remote access
- Wireless Video Conferencing solution deployed
- Cyber Essentials Plus accreditation
- Proactive account management with regular, structured review
“CNC has provided us with outstanding service, ensuring that the IT experience for all our staff is high quality and that our systems are secure. “
ML – Finance Director
The Poppy Factory now have a complete range of services that make sure they are just one call or click away from their colleagues and their customers.
See what the fuss is about and have a look through our comprehensive list of services.
- Outsourced IT Solutions
- Business Broadband
- Backup & Disaster Recovery
- IT Infrastructure Consultancy
- IT Hardware & Software Suppliers
- IT & Cyber Security
- Switching IT Support Partners
- Endpoint Protection
- Cloud & Hosting
- Cyber Security Training
- Patch Management
- Offsite Data Backup
- Apple Mac Support
- Bespoke Software Design
- Email Archiving
- Remote Working
- Microsoft 365 Solutions
- Microsoft Azure Consultancy
We are always open for a chat so get in touch to find out how we can help.